Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tasting Notes--Italian Wedding Soup, Whole Foods

I rarely buy prepared foods from Whole Foods because they're expensive and often disappointing.  Exceptions to this are the pizza, a couple of soups, and, on good days at least, the salad bar. 

I was there today to lay in some provisions before the predicted snowstorm hits tonight.  I'd been out a good part of the morning and was getting hungry, so naturally I gravitated to the soup bar.  $3.50 for a 12 oz. bowl isn't bad, so I took a chance on the Italian wedding soup.  I have a hard time steering away from anything with sausage in it.

People have raved about IWS to me, but I'd never tried it.  I'd wager that I still haven't.  WF's version consisted of a salty commercial-grade chicken broth, small bits of onion, carrot, and parsely, and chicken sausage.  No herb flavors were discernible except for in the sausage.  The overwhelming impression was of a canned chicken vegetable soup. 

Like I said, I don't know much about this variety of soup.  I want to look up some recipes and commentaries to see what I was missing.  I like WF's vegetarian chili and some of their seafood soups, but  I won't get this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment