Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cooking--Finnish Beef Soup

A nordic beef-vegetable soup---all root vegetables (recipe).    I don't have that much experience with meat soups and want to get more proficient with those. Something from the cold countries sounded right for the end of the coldest, snowiest week this year.  (And for me, BTW, winter is something to celebrate, not run from.  This year has provided a pleasant departure from our usual anemic winters in southern Michigan).

My rendition was a bit thin .  The meat and first round of veggies should have cooked at least twice as long as the suggested time, and a soup bone would have strengthened the broth.  The potatoes put in at the end don't need the full twenty minutes, at least if you've cut them small enough to comfortably occupy a soup spoon.  I did like the generous topping of fresh parsely--it added a piquant tingle to the subdued root veggie flavors.

I'll attempt this again.  I suspect I'll be making a lot of meat soups in the next few weeks, since that's the weak spot in my resume.   Shopping for this effort, I discovered a good butcher shop--Knight's Market, an Ann Arbor landmark apparently, but one I'd never heard of until yesterday. By spring, they ought to know me by sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment