Monday, February 7, 2011

Cooking--Posole

My wife and I have cooked a version of the Mexican stew posole for a while now, but I wouldn't call it anything close to authentic. It's a vegetarian version that involves little more than mixing together the contents of several cans: hominy, tomatoes, beans, along with a few spices. It's a quick tasty meal, and goes nicely in a tortilla.

Last night we made the genuine article: a pork shoulder simmered until tender in broth, hominy, cumin and garlic.  We pureed some dried ancho chilis in the broth and added them for the last half hour of cooking.  This gave us a mild, rich stew that tasted wonderful topped with sour cream and wrapped in a tortilla.  Normally if we make burritos I stop at two. I had to go for three last night, as did my wife.  We had enough left over for one more meal this week.   I suspect this will enter the regular rotation in our household. I don't recall where my wife got the recipe or I'd post it here.

I've never seen posole offered in a Mexican restaurant, even in the small places that cater to the local Latino community.  This in spite of it being one of the most popular Mexican dishes.  Nearly every Mexican restaurant I've seen, chain or local, serves the same fifteen or so dishes that amount to variations on tacos or burritos.  Why so little variety there, when there is so much in Mexican cuisine?  Something similar holds true in Chinese restaurants, by my observation.

All the more reason to cook at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment